Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Politics by intimidation

I find it interesting how people go about getting elected to different positions. We all watched the last presidential election and saw the different strategies and tactics used. President Obama had great charisma and little negativity during his campaign. Senator McCain leveraged his experience and military service to this country.

I spoke to a resident recently about a situation she ran into with a local candidate, who asked if he could put a sign on her property. When the resident responded that she was supporting another candidate, the candidate expressed his dissatisfaction with
her decision and made unprofessional remarks. As a result, the resident became nervous and decided not to put any candidates’ signs on her property.

Is this really what people need to do to win a town election? Why am I surprised? I am good friends with some people in a personal and professional manner who are supporting another candidate. That is certainly their choice and right. I will be happy to receive their second vote. While I really want to win this year’s race and serve the Town of Burlington, I would never succumb to making anyone feel uncomfortable. Politics by intimidation has no place in our town. This election should not be about who has the most signs, it should be about who will do the best job.

No comments:

Post a Comment