Saturday, March 22, 2008

Continuing to Pound the Pavement

On Friday, I walked up and down Lexington Street and knocked on every door that did not have a lawn sign on it. The walk took me about 3 hours. You never know who will open up the door. It's great when a resident tells me that they know my face from the newspaper or the mailing I did. The most rewarding responses are when people tell methat they knew my mom and dad, know one of my brothers, went to school with my sister, or had a child play on my soccer team. I've had many people who don't know me thank me for stopping by to introduce myself.

I figure I'll have hit more than 600 homes in just a few weeks. Hey, I'm outside in the cold but I don't need to do cardio at the gym on the days I go door to door. On this last walk I took, I spoke with a gentleman who was born in Burlington and is now 80 years old. He held a municipal job in the town his entire working career. He said,"Thank you for dropping by and saying hello, and remember, signs don't win elections." I thanked him for that.

As Tip O'Neill said, "All Politics is Local."

No comments:

Post a Comment