Monday, March 3, 2008

Why I am Running for the Board of Selectmen

I have been a Town Meeting member since 1999 and in that time have developed a great passion for town government. In order to be effective in any endeavor whether it be in business or in local government, passion for the job, along with being on the right side of the issues, is important. I have been in the service business for 21 years. I enjoy serving the needs of people. I have to be honest, I love this town with all my heart but I think it was a little better back then. I remember the old Dale Pharmacy selling hot fudge sundaes for 30 cents.

Getting onto the political note, if elected to the Board of Selectmen I plan on continuing to preserve municipal property from the tax rolls. I fought to keep the Wildwood School property from development by putting in a resolution on the ballot two years ago. The Board of Selectman will now bring the demolition cost proposal before Town Meeting in order to remove the 50 year old elementary school building that has been rotting since it closed in 1996. I love and want to preserve open space since it is so rare.


The twelve acre site at the corner of Bedford St. and Francis Wyman is a beautiful picture of old Burlington. A word of caution, some officials are talking about carving out some house lots on the property to pay for the cost of demolition which to me is very short sited. While on the subject of open space, the 140 acre Cummings property off Blanchard Road, although in Burlington, is owned by the city of Boston. It has been rumored that the city of Boston is trying to break the Trust that preserves the property from being commercially developed. The reason they want to do this is so could then sell it to the highest bidder. That also goes for the 250+ acre landlocked parcel which is another bombshell. Lets not do anything with this property for now.

We have about 3 million square feet of high rise office and retail space from Second Avenue to the Sun Property (now part of the Nordblom Park) through North West Park that will be built in the next 2 to 5 years. Let’s see this get up and running 1st before we decide to put our 250 acre site on the block. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment